Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thank you, Mr. Reincke

A combination of two things reminded me of Mr. Reincke, my middle school band director. First, I had a discussion with a colleague about middle school teachers who truly enjoy working with kids that age. There's a reason I don't teach middle school. As my mother usesd to say, I'd rather be eaten by a boa constrictor. But I appreciate teachers who take on that challenge.

A song on the oldies radio station was the second thing that reminded me of Mr. Reincke. The song "Black and White" by Three Dog Night came on. We played that song in band. I'm sure we butchered it. Ten or so kids, playing out of tune, missing our pick-up notes, and generally discombobulated by accidentals or key changes, couldn't have sounded good. Add to the mix the typical joking around and lack of focus in kids that age.

Mr. Reincke might have decided, quite understandably, that such a small group wasn't worth his time and energy. After all, he also taught 5th grade and took on directing the band voluntarily. But he patiently worked with us twice a week, selecting music that we enjoyed along with music that was good for us. And he made it fun. Thank you, Mr. Reincke.

No comments: