Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Bad move, counselor

Maybe I should say, "bad move, would-be counselor." I'm a little late in finding this story, but I hope that no one tried this bar examinee's test-taking strategy in answering bar questions last week. I'm a staunch advocate of the first amendment and its protections for religious freedom, but I can't help but think that this gentleman's answer--and his lawsuit--are proof that he should not be entrusted with the legal affairs of others.

I know it's Massachusetts, that bastion of liberal thinking. But is the Massachusetts' bar exam that different from others? Does it really require examinees to subscribe to a particular belief as opposed to simply demonstrating minimal competency to practice law? Either way, the smartest thing Mr. Dunne could do is to drop the suit, and if he hasn't retaken the bar exam, study real hard this time, so that he can pick up enough points on the questions with which he agrees.

No comments: