Sunday, July 15, 2007

Makes no sense to me

Yesterday, the Senate voted to raise the bounty on Osama bin Laden's head to $50 million--twice what it is now. I'm not questioning the success of the Rewards for Justice program. It has doled out some $62 million dollars for informing on terrorists. I'm just questioning how much sense an increase makes in this case. How likely is it that there's someone with the goods on bin Laden who wasn't willing to pass the info on for $25 million, but now is rethinking that since the reward is doubled?

Looking closer at the program, $30 million of the $62 million was paid in connection with the Hussein boys--Uday and Qusay. They strike me as very different from bin Laden. The Husseins were feared and hated for the crimes they committed against their own people, particularly innocent young women. As I recall, bin Laden has many supporters who view him as a hero, not to mention those who, even if they don't view bin Laden positively, aren't inclined to help us. If bin Laden is hiding among those people, money is not likely to incentivize them to provide to the info that will lead to his capture or death.

I certainly don't know what would convince whoever knows where bin Laden is to "drop a dime" on him, but I'm hoping that someone has a better understanding than is suggested by the Senate's vote.

No comments: