Monday, July 16, 2007

Girls gone mild--yes!!

At the risk of sounding like an middle-aged matron (which I guess technically I am), this is good news. I like the thought of a youth-led movement towards modesty. It's bad enough when teenage girls leave little to the imagination, but it disturbs me even more when little girls look like little women, little hooker women that is.

And the retailers are as much to blame as anyone. I understand supply and demand, but I've always been convinced that there is a market for cute, functional, and age-appropriate clothing for girls, if for no other reason than that much of what's available in the stores violates the dress code at so many of the schools that haven't yet opted for uniforms. Every year it's a challenge to find hot weather clothes that will pass dress-code muster.

Here's my business idea for the day: develop a line of really cute, comfortable, clothing for girls 5 to 13 years old. Not too fru-fru, but definitely not suggestive, and make it affordable.

If Project Runway should ever see its way back on to TV, that should be one of the tasks--just to get the ball rolling.

2 comments:

OsoDelSol said...

Yeah, there's something kinda scary about all the tube tops they sell at Walmart for five year olds....

Wilson said...

I don't know what's worse--that Walmart sells them or that parents buy them.