Friday, July 13, 2007

DON'T play the sex card!

People like Amy Jacobson frustrate me. She's the Chicago television reporter who had been covering the story of Lisa Stebic who is missing. A rival television station broadcastvideo of Jacobson at Lisa Stebic's home of the missing woman, swimming and sunbathing with the missing woman's husband and his sister. Bad move. I figure if I know there's an ethical problem with that--and I'm not a journalist-- Jacobson should know that too. However, she wasted no time claiming that if she'd been a man, the result would have been different.

I don'tknow. Maybe there are examples of similarly-situated men who haven't suffered Jacobson's fate. Either way, Jacobson owes it to me and to every other working woman not to play the sex card lightly. The same is true for the race card. There are too many instances of actual discrimination to risk diluting the believability of the legitimate claims by raising dubious ones. Particularly where one is guilty of wrongdoing, she should be very careful about raising sex (or race) as an explanation.

No comments: