Thursday, July 12, 2007

Random thoughts on seeing the new Harry Potter movie

This is not a real review, but just thoughts than ran through my head while watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix or shortly thereafter.

1. A pretty entertaining movie from a book that was my least favorite of all the ones so far.

2. An evil woman dressed in Pepto-Bismol pink is a good combination. In fact, there are lots of good evil characters in Harry Potter.. There's something about the British accent that amplifies evil. Think about Scar in The Lion King.

3. I had the strange urge to call out "yippie-ki-yay (w/o the expletive)" during the scenes with Snape.

4. I'm ready for Harry Potter to be done. I'm looking forward to the final book, and it'll jump to the top of my reading list. But I've got Harry Potter fatigue.

5. Seeing Harry Potter with K2, who's not ashamed to go to a movie with his mom, is pretty special.

5 comments:

Jeremy Masten said...

I agree with your comment about British accents and villains. There's just something about the confidence and calm in a smooth British accent that is just disturbing. Hannibal Lecter takes the cake.

Anonymous said...

Prof--
You are getting very close to spoiling the movie for some of us who have finals this week...

Poseur said...

The Brits are pretty proud that the HP movies have been cast almost exclusively with British actors. I'm excited to see Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix (after finals...)

But we have opposite tastes here. Order of the Phoenix is by far my favorite book in the series.

Anonymous said...

I read that the film was actually shot in Phoenix, too, so they must have shipped all of those brits over here somehow. Curious.

Wilson said...

I forgot about Hannibal Lecter. Just the thought of fava beans and a nice chianti makes me shiver. I wonder if the Brits think Americans sound especially evil.