Sunday, July 8, 2007

A fun way to waste 10 minutes

I found this on the SI site about the best players at every number. We had fun clicking through the list. It even inspired K2 to exceed his average daily word use by at least 50 words.

Random observations from the J/W household:

1. Auto racing is not a sport.

2. Troy Aikman was robbed. He lost out for the no. 8 greatest to Cal Ripken Jr., with Yogi Berra named the runner-up. He only merited a "worthy of consideration."

3. Elway takes the top spot for no. 7, with Mantle as runner-up. Aikman was robbed.

4. Peyton Manning is the greatest for no. 18. Aikman was robbed.

5. No surprise that Jordan is the best for no. 23, but LeBron James as the runner-up?

6. Anyone planning on a pro career should avoid nos. 32 and 33. Too many really good players with those numbers.

7. K2 was in agreement with the picks for no. 50 (his number this past year). He could have gone with either Robinson or Singletary (sic 'em Bears!)

8. No Drew Pearson on the list as even "worthy of consideration" for no. 88. Who put together this Micky Mouse list?

9. This is a Cowboys househould. We're biased in favor of the 'boys in every way.

10. My logic is faulty. I don't care. Aikman was robbed.

5 comments:

Poseur said...

I don't care if you do control my grade in Employment... Cal is one of the greatest shortstops ever. Aikman is a borderline Hall of Fame QB. It's no question who is the better #8: Cal.

And I'm hoping the Drew Pearson thing was a joke. Though Eric Lindros didn't do much but get a lot of concussions. I'm hoping SI was kidding with that one, too.

Wilson said...

I don't care to be rational or fair on this issue. I stand on my opinion about Aikman.

Jeremy Masten said...

I just have this to say about that: Aikman's Cowboys won 3 Super Bowls in 12 years. Ripken's Orioles won 1 World Series in 17 years.

Anonymous said...

As big of a Cowboy homer as I am and as much man-love I have for Aikman, Baker is right on this one. You can't blame Cal for being on a not very good team for many of his years (sub-.500 for 10 years; sub-.550 for 16 years), just like you can't give all the credit to Aikman for playing on a bad-A team. I feel dirty for agreeing with Baker...

Wilson said...

Okay, okay. My mind is in agreement re Ripken, but not my heart.