Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I think to myself, what a wonderful world

I heard that song today after I observed two incidents--one touching, one that made me smile.

1. While jogging this morning, I passed an elederly couple on the opposite side of the street. They were walking very slowly. He was supporting her, and she carried a very large, stuffed teddy bear, the way a child would. I didn't know the couple, so I don't know if there was mental illness, Alzheimer's, or some other form of dementia. Maybe there was no explanation for the teddy bear. What was clear was how much love existed between that couple.

2. I was stopped next to a police cruiser, giving me a chance to peer into the car. I had to chuckle at the little pig that dangled from the dashboard. A police officer with a sense of humor.

The only thing that would have made the morning better was if I'd heard the Louis Armstrong version of "What a Wonderful World."

No comments: