Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What is the future of labor unions?

This is the question I’ve posed on the bulletin board for my labor law class. I’ve asked them to look into their crystal balls and predict the continuing relevance of labor unions.

The recent strikes by the New York stage hands and the TV writers in California have garnered publicity, but seemingly little strong feeling from the public in support of or in opposition to either side. I’d guess that many of my students have never belonged to a union, don’t expect to ever belong to a union, have no close relatives that belong to a union, and don’t know anyone who currently belongs to a union. That we’re in Texas is only part of the explanation.

So are unions on their way out? I look forward to reading what my students predict.

4 comments:

Mark Osler said...

Yeah, probably unions are fading. Who knows. But, Oh My God, did you see Project Runway last night? I have to say, as the only straight man in America to watch the full hour, that outfit Sweet P made was the single worst thing I have ever seen a human wear. I can't believe she wasn't voted off...

Wilson said...

You watched PR?? You go boy!

Jeremy Masten said...

This is a few days late, but I wanted to comment. I think that labor unions are fading because they seem to fight about things that aren't as important to us as the services the union members provide. When the writers strike and we miss two weeks of Desperate Housewives, we don't blame management--we blame the writers. I don't even know what they're whining about.

Did you hear about the Italian transportation strike? Now that's a strike.

phylly3 said...

I believe that Unions have accomplished most of their missions throughout their history, and it is time for them to go away. Along the way they have lost sight of a fair days work for a fair days pay. Their leadership forgot that they were a labor organization and not a political party. They disregarded that the man who owned the ball could say who gets to play with it and oh yeah, can pick it up and play with it somewhere else, let's say, Mexico. They convinced their members, (brothers & sisters), they had ball control and the members were impressed enough to pay dues for that. Then those dues were divvied up and the Union President at the top of the organization, was able to live large and hobnob with legislators and Las Vegas Hospitality Professional, as an example.

And even after knowing all these things; we're really not in charge in this business, unless you count operating that screwdriver, they will still try to sign up a new member with a promise that if they join, and pay their dues, they will get everything all the other employees get and oh, by the way, they will not break out their vehicle windows, or be shunned or called like scab. Bubba might even do his own part of the assembly process they work on together, as a show of solidarity.