Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Life in my own reality show

The past two days, I feel like I've been competing in my own version of the Amazing Race, and not doing so well. Yesterday began with what should have been a mid-morning flight to New York, only to find that my flight had been cancelled because of weather along the East coast.

So, I took a detour to Raleigh-Durham, courtesy of a reservation agent who thought I might get to New York quicker by connecting there. Nice lady that she was, she did put me in first class--that's always fun. Two hours and one grilled salmon entree (a la airline chef) later, I arrived in Raleigh-Durham, to learn that my connection was delayed for several hours, once again for weather. Alas, I boarded the plane and buckled my seatbelt, settling in for a quick hop on a puddle-jumper only to find that I (and everyone else) had been U-turned! That's right, taken off the plane because at the last minute "dispatch canceled the flight."

Off to a hotel to spend the night and try again this morning, with time winding down. I had about as much success in canceling my NY hotel reservation for one night as the real Amazing Race contestants have in trying to communicate with locals who speak only Bantu. Well, of course I couldn't cancel my reservation. I hadn't met the 24 hour advance notice requirement. Too bad that I didn't predict a day ahead that my fight would be canceled.

So, another attempt to get to New York this morning. Once again, flight delays abounded. The crews all got in late last night and needed to complete their "crew rest" before flights could take off. Finally, the flight departed and I arrived at JFK Airport with just barely enough time to get to midtown Manhattan to make my CLE presentation.

But, concerned that I wouldn't make it at all, the program director went to plan B, and a good thing she did. I landed in the only taxi cab in New York City where the cabbie drove like he lived in, say, Mayberry. He actually drove the speed limit and stayed in his own lane the whole way! I finally arrived right about the time I should have been underway, so, the only thing missing from my own Amazing Race was Phil Keoghan greeting me with his pronouncement that I'd been eliminated from the race.

Oh well. Tomorrow's another day, or something like that. Another CLE presentation that should go off without a hitch. We'll see.

No comments: