Sunday, November 18, 2007

Random observations on my recent trip to NYC

1. A hotel that doesn't have Bravo in its cable line-up, forcing your's truly to miss Project Runway, should automatically lose at least one star in its hotel rating.

2. Running in Central Park, when there are still beautiful fall colors, is wonderful, even if you get caught in a downpour.

3. Tourists still seem to be having a great time in Times Square, notwithstanding the Broadway stage hands strike. I think the retailers are the beneficiaries of the money that might have been spent seeing a show. The striking stage hands looked kind of lonely walking the picket line.

4. Quality Meats, a trendy restaurant near Central Park, has good steaks--but not as good as Diamondback's. But the corn creme brulee was to die for (no, it didn't have the blow-torched sugar on top!).

5. If you buy two Screwdrivers on American Airlines, the third is free? That was the experience of the guy seated next to me, who started with two, tried to buy a third until the flight attended comped him one, which then allowed him to spend his $5 on a fourth Screwdriver when she came by another time. Then the same flight attendant gets annoyed with me for simply asking to have the whole $.25 can of cranapple juice rather than being happy with the cup she poured for me. Just call me pushy.

6. I like to visit New York, but I'm always glad to get back to Texas.

2 comments:

TheAdjunct said...

As for No. 6, is that because the NYPD recently fired 20 shots (hitting the victim 8 times) at a young man carrying a hair brush? (The cops thought it was a gun).

Anonymous said...

I really hope Diamondbacks is not your standard for a good steak.