Saturday, June 23, 2007

Lawyers vs. engineers




I'm back from the State Bar Convention, that annual event where attorneys from around the state. . . well, convene to do all sorts of important stuff. There really are some important things that occur, including the recognition of the Young Lawyer of the Year, recognition of the lawyers that have been practicing 50 years, and the moot court competition among the law schools in the state. There are also the section meetings and hours and hours of CLE. But truth be known, what many of us look forward to is searching for the vendors' booths that have the best freebies.

Of course, there are the usual pens, highlighters, and candy. Then there is the cool and unusual. I got a nice tie-dyed t-shirt (thank you Westlaw), but the coolest thing is that little red thing on the left, in the picture on the left, that one can use to clean eyeglasses. It's small, it works, and it requires no user's manual. The oddest thing in the first picture on the right--the "chatter bat". It's got beads or beans or something inside that "chatter." I'm not sure what one is supposed to do with it, but I plan to keep it away from certain colleagues.

I thought I'd done pretty good until I got home and saw what MJ picked up at the convention he attended this week--a really nice insulated coffee mug. And that wasn't even the coolest thing he got. Who'da thunk that the engineers would get better stuff than the lawyers.

2 comments:

Mark Osler said...

Can I borrow your chatter bat? I've got this thing I need to do this week.

Wilson said...

Um, sure. This won't expose me to liability, will it?