Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Great Adventure Begins

When K2 was invited to accompany a friend and his parents to Hawaii, my thought was how cool for him. I was even okay with he and his pal traveling separately from the parents. The fact that they would have to change planes didn't unsettle me--not at first. But, as I've been tracking their progress all day, since their first flight left at 7 am., I can't help but wonder: WHAT WAS I THINKING?? Two 16 year olds, traveling several thousand miles, through several airports, unaccompanied by an adult! I'll be checking on them in a few minutes. I'm apprehensive, but also proud. When I think about it rationally, K2 is up to the task. He's generally responsible, and it's not as though he's alone. When K1 was this age, she flew by herself for the first time--only to Colorado, but she managed just fine. Plus unaccompanied minors are a regular staple on the planes this time of year. Plus . . . only 60 years ago, it wasn't that uncommon for boys this age to lie about their age to sneak into the armed forces, and go off to fight wars. They were part of the greatest generation. When considered from that perspective, the accomplishments of the young men of today pale in comparison.

No comments: