Saturday, September 22, 2007

Priorities

Every season, in every youth soccer league, there's at least one little kid who is distracted by something on the field unrelated to soccer. And there's at least one mom who is desparately trying to pull him out of his own little world and back to the matters at hand. At practice today, I was that mom and K4 was that kid. It mattered not that all about him kids were running, balls were flying, coaches were calling his name, or mom was yelling. That blade of grass or weed that he picked at needed his attention.

I could just kick myself for not having my camera.

3 comments:

TheAdjunct said...

Happens to me all the time, though not at soccer. I was arguing at the Dallas Court of Appeals, and the baliff came over and took my pen away from me because I was clicking it constantly during my argument. In my mind, I was using it for emphasis; apparently he was a bit annoyed. Not to worry, the law was on my side that case.

Anonymous said...

My little brother used to walk the chalk outlines on the soccer field when he was in 5 year old soccer. Nothing could distract him from that self-appointed task, including, apparently, the ball.

Once, when the ball came his way, he neatly side-stepped it, watched it go past, and continued walking that chalk outline. My poor dad was beside himself.

Wilson said...

Thanks for the laugh, Jeffy!