Monday, October 8, 2007

What would Jesus do? Really?

This story caught my eye because I'm currently reading The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World, by A.J. Jacobs, who is the subject of the story. It's taking me awhile to finish the book, mostly because I'm treating it like a stop light book, that is I read it in short spurts, about the time you wait at a stoplight. But it is enjoyable, and laugh out loud funny at times.

His latest book, The Year of Living Biblically, has an intriguing concept--trying to live according to the Bible for a full year. I wasn't sure what to make of his idea. As a secular Jew, was he serious? Was Jacobs trivializing the foundation of the religious beliefs of millions? Would he follow the diretion of only the Old Testament, given that he is a Jew? The Today Show video is rather goofy, and had I relied on only the lead-up to the interview with Jacobs, that might have been enough for me. But having read the excerpt from Jacobs' book, I think it will make it to the list of books I expect to read. Sometime. When I have more time.

1 comment:

TheAdjunct said...

Read the Know-It-All. It's a keeper. Very original.