Monday, October 22, 2007

Now ANOTHER reason not to read Harry Potter


For those who already thought the Harry Potter books were a bad influence on youth because the stories involve witchcraft, now they have yet another reason to protest (and probably seek to ban) the Harry Potter books. Dumbledore i s gay! So says J.K. Rowling, as reported here, among other places.


I was rather surprised that Rowling would admit as much, but not entirely surpised about Dumbledore. I knew Dumbledore and Grindelwald weren't just good pals.


Too late for me and my Ks, at least the older ones, to unturn the pages. We've already read the books. So far, no signs that it's turned any of us gay.

3 comments:

TheAdjunct said...

Truth meet fiction. Schoolmaster is gay? That's a problem for more than a few parents.

Poseur said...

Well, anyone who was going to ban the book already has. You can't ban it twice.

Though I am uncomfortable with an author making pronouncement about her characters AFTER the book is finished.

Wilson said...

I suspect that there will be a second round of attempts to ban the book. But for Rowling's announcement, I doubt any kids would have suspected anything.