Friday, August 17, 2007

Surviving tax-free weekend


Another tax-free weekend, whee! It's not as though it 's that big of a savings--$8 per $100, but it's the principle that counts. So like thousands of others, this weekend I'll join the throngs to buy new socks, underwear, pajamas, and school clothes for the Ks. Things that are most obvious on tax-free weekend:


1) There are way too many choices of socks and sizes. Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Russell, crew socks, ankle socks, no-show socks, extra-cushion socks and on and on.


2) There are way too many underwear choices for toddler boys. It's hard enough to decide between Sponge Bob, Superman, Transformers, Batman, Sesame Street, Spiderman, and Cars. Should you really have to decide on briefs, boxers, or boxer briefs for a 3 year old?


3) There are plenty of cold-weather clothes available, but not nearly enough choices of hot weather clothing. Hello. This is Texas. It won't be cooler than 95 until November.


4) Tax free weekend supplies yet another good excuse to shop for me! I need to buy new stuff now, while it's on sale, and tax-free.


5) Never ever, no matter what, take the kids shopping on tax-free weekend. To do so is to court disaster.

3 comments:

Ginger Hunter said...

My step-dad says the tax free weekend is a Republican conspiracy.

He may be right, but he needed new socks, so I bought him some. I also bought my niece about 1000 Pull-Ups diapers and successfully argued with the Wal-Mart checker that a Snow White outfit was "clothes".

Anonymous said...

I learned while working at a Bugle Boy outlet the Summer prior to my Senior year in high school that all the summer clothes stop being stocked around July and all the Winter clothes start being stocked. I thought it was ridiculous then and still do now. Do they not realize where they are selling these things? Do they not know that Winter in Texas consists of a sporadic few days in January and February? The clothing retailers never seem to pander to this market very well...

Wilson said...

Makes no sense that retailers wouldn't stock clothes that make sense. I don't get it.