Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The perfect gift?


I received an e-mail today about the new Supreme Court coloring book. The ABA website includes this description: "This 32-page coloring book features expertly rendered illustrations depicting significant Supreme Court Justices of the United States to color in--including all current sitting Justices."


Hm-m-m. It's been awhile since I was legitimately "coloring book age," so maybe I'm not a good judge of these kinds of things. But is a coloring book, depicting lots of really old people likely to be appealing to the kid set? I like educational things for my kids, so there's something to be said for the concept, and maybe the connect the dot puzzles and other activities are really fun. I'll have to give some thought to whether to buy copies for the kids in my family.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If the book has "connect the dots" puzzles, it might help explain some of the opinions this term. Whether I can actually work the puzzles or not, I would like to give it a try.

Thanks in advance for ordering me a copy:)

Ginger Hunter said...

It has GOT to be bor-ing. They should have had Dora the Explorer or Sponge Bob reenacting significant decisions, it would have been atrocious, but more effective.

My brother the artist volunteered to help create a coloring book to raise money for victims of domestic violence, it was about "What to do if someone touches you"...it was horrific. But he illustrated it pretty tastefully and I guess kids need to know this stuff.

Ginger Hunter said...

Ah, I went and ordered three anyway. My nieces will just have to suffer.

Wilson said...

Ginger, you're kidding, right? I'd give almost anything for an artfully colored picture of Rehnquist, and do tell Greg if the coloring book provides a DaVinci Code-like guide to the supreme court cases.

Ginger Hunter said...

No way am I joking, one can be yours for the asking...I only have two nieces!

Absolutely Swagulous! said...

You be the judge! Download two sample pages for free at www.supremecourtkids.com. My kids love it -- they'll pretty much color anything, though (walls! sofas! appliances!) and they also like it because their mom made it. :) Only 30K more copies to sell and I'll have my student loans paid off. JBD