Friday, August 24, 2007

Merry maids?

The people down the street apparently use Merry Maids. At least, there were a couple of the Merry Maids leaving their house, and I don't think they were burglarizing it. But the two women didn't act anything like the maids in the television ads. They weren't dancing, singing, or kicking up their heels with joyful shrieks at the thought of vacuuming.


D'ya think Merry Maids engages in deceptive advertising? If I had the inclination to hire a maid service, the ony reason I'd hire Merry Maids is to have someone who was gleeful about cleaning my house. If the maids aren't really merry, then what's the point?

2 comments:

Mark Osler said...

If you ever read "Nickled and Dimed," you'd understand why they aren't so Merry. That's why I use Crabby Maids. At least it's honest.

Wilson said...

I've been meaning to read Nickel and Dimed for a long time. I'm about to finish a lighter version of Nickel and Dimed that makes some of the same points I understand are made in Nickel and Dimed. It's called "Working Stiff's Manifesto: A Memoir of Thirty Jobs I Quit, Nine That Fired Me, and Three I Can't Remember". I now know more about fish processing than I ever wanted to know, including how little the workers get paid for dangerous, dirty, and back-breaking work.

Somehow, the author, an otherwise unemployed English major, managed to walk the thin line between writing a humorous account of his many low-paying jobs while sensitively recounting the plight of those who often have few options.