Saturday, February 9, 2008

Race

Is there any doubt that African Americans can compete with whites on the basketball court?

It seems odd to think that just a generation ago there were those who seriously believed that whites were naturally superior in basketball, chief among them, Adolph Rupp. The movie Glory Road was a good reminder. The show that we watched today on ESPN evidenced even more clearly the racial divide in sports that existed in 1966 when Texas Western started five black players in the NCAA championship game and ultimately beat Rupp's Kentucky team. I was just a child at the time, and had no idea of the significance of that game.

Now, only the most ignorant would suggest that race is determinative in any way of the likely success of a particular athlete.

Yet, we're still caught in making judgements about people based on their race. That's becoming clear in the Democratic primaries and caucuses. Some blacks will choose Obama simply because he is black; others will not consider him because he is black.

I don't yet know for whom I'll vote in the primary. What I do know is that Obama will not get my vote simply because he is black--nor does he want it for that reason. Rather, I believe that Clinton or Obama are both accomplished and both are capable of leading this nation, notwithstanding their race or genders. I would have considered Edwards if he hadn't dropped out. Which one of the remaining Democrats will get my vote will be decided on issues other than race or gender.

Wouldn't it be nice if race weren't an issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would be great; unfortunately, in a multiracial society it is also very unlikely.

Kudos to BLS for recruiting 3 (or is it 4?) new african-americans to the Spring starting class. The law school is clearly making an effort, hopefully the efforts will continue and intensify.

In one quarter, we have doubled the percentage of black students at the school. It is shameful, in my opinion, that the numbers were so low before, but I am encouraged by what I hope is a trend.