Friday, January 4, 2008

This is a true story--really

Apparently, if you don't actually declare that your story is true, you're allowed to tell a story. That's the explanation of the mother who wrote a compelling, but false, essay to win Hannah Montana concert tickets, as described here. What a witch! And her defense that "we never said it was true" that the child's dad died in an Iraq roadside attack is no defense at all. The mom has since apologized.

I can understand wanting to give your child something that she so dearly wants. And having an 8 year old, I can sort of understand the Hannah Montana phenomenon, although the mere thought of Miley Cyrus (who plays Hannah Montana) reminds me of Billy Ray, which reminds me of Achy Breaky Heart, and I'd rather eat a bowl of glass than have that song stuck in my head. But how a mother can fail to see the myriad wrongs with her scheme until she was busted is beyond me, and makes me sad for the child who has an excellent chance of growing up confused about the difference between truth and fiction, right and wrong, etc.

1 comment:

Ginger Hunter said...

The truly sad part is that given the choice to eat a bowl of glass for a HM ticket, many parents would chow down. What have we become? My mom wouldn't even wait in line for Return of the Jedi tickets with us.