Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Drive-thru chuch


I was driving down the highway when a big banner on a church caught my attention: 30 Minute Church Service. That was the selling point. A total of 10,080 minutes in a week, and the selling point is one need devote only 30 minutes, a mere .003% of the week to worshiping?


I was just about to climb on my high horse when I remembered that the church service at my church is only an hour. If the service runs beyond the 60 minutes, people start to squirm, particularly if it's a Sunday when the Cowboys play the early game or the Lady Bears have a basketball game. So while I could spin it to smugly note that we worship twice as long as the people who attend the 300minute service, it still amounts to only 006% of the week. As one of my good friends, who attends church for at least two hours each Sunday, likes to say, we've got that quickie church.


I suppose even 30 minutes (or 60 minutes) spent in worship is better than spending those 30 minutes sleeping, golfing, reading the Sunday New York Times, but there's just something about advertising a particularly short service. What's next? Drive-thru church? Oh wait. That already exists.

No comments: