Friday, August 21, 2009

Emptier nest

My nest is growing emptier. Tonight marks the last night that all of the chicks will be roosting in the nest. BB1 leaves tomorrow; BB2 leaves on Sunday. BBs 3 and 4 will still be here of course. But I am growing a bit melancholy in a way that I wasn't when BB1 left for college.

There's a difference when there are two children in college as compared to one. If there's only one, when that one comes home for the weekend or holidays, the family is likely to be complete again. With two off to new horizons, one coming home for Fall break or a spontaneous weekend visit may mean we are still incomplete.

It is the new reality. Kids aren't supposed to live in their childhood bedrooms for the rest of their lives. They are supposed to fly the coop. And at this point, two of the four are still fully here and the other two aren't entirely independent. But I'm not sure I like this taste of things to come.

No comments: